Monday, 16 May 2011
Our Lady of Rosary Church (1550), Old Goa
This is the Church I never heard of before almost all my life time
It was only during the last year ( Sept 2010), when I saw it while travelling to
Old Goa via river Mondovi by a launch.
Finally, visited the church on 3rd May this year (2011) at Monte Santo (Holy hill).
Amazing! How do they do that?
It does have some similarities like that of a fortress with beautiful view of river
Mandovi overlooking islands of Divar etc
It’s very close to the Santa Monica Convent or Christian Art Museum.
Not very far from the ruined church of St. Augustin
The Feast of Our Lady of Rosary celebrated here in October
It is said that
- Church of our Lady of Rosary was constructed at the site where Bijapur Sultan
was defeated by
Portuguese leader Alfonso de Albuquerque in the year 1510
- Construction work of church was started in the year 1544 and took almost six years
- The church was build in fulfillment of a vow taken by Afonso De Albuquerque
- St. Francis Xavier used to preach (teach catechism ) here every evening.
- One of the Oldest Churches of Goa
azment tum bott, soitan tum podd, Jezus mak’ mell (Holi water Basin)
Pulpit (Pulpitr for Xermao)
two of the three Altars
It also has two Chapels – see video
the Main Altar – Nossa Senhora de Rozariohttp://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoaukchurches3/5708529318/sizes/l/
Hindi / English Inscription
A plaque on the Church wall
Deste Alto Asistiu
Afonso de Albuquerque
EM 25 - XI – 1510 A
Reconuista de Goa
(some one pl translate) http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoaukchurches3/5708538728/
The main door
Church View from the riversidehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoaukchurches3/5708524360/sizes/l/