Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Cabo de Rama Fort, Goa

Cabo de Rama, fort
Canacoan,  South Goa

About 1.5hr drive from Panjim via Cortalim, Verna, Margao, Navelim, Chinchinim, Assolna, Velim, Betul, ONGC, Cananguinim



Green board

Inside of the fort

fort wall

with stairs

Arabian Sea view from the fort

from other side - left

from  the back – With coconut trees etc

with a lone hut



On top

Plateau (inside the fort)


St. Anthony Church inside the fort (1886)

 Cannon guns

barracks, quarters, prison etc

Canaguinim beach view

 a notice board on a tree

Monkey business down the fort

Oak Tree full of roots

Pics from 2006

Cannon gun

 a view from the fort

Church (1888)

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Betul Fort, Goa

Our visit  on 22nd Oct. 2012
Pics of earlier visit (2007) also provided

It's a small fort built by Shivaji around 1676
Portuguese took control over it in 1764 until 1961.
After 1961, like most Forts of Goa, this was also neglected by the Goa Govt.

Read more..
Shivaji's Only fort in Goa
By Prajal Sakhardande
At the mouth of the serene and the beautiful Sal river is located the lone fort built by Shivaji in Goa. Strategically located at a vantage point in the Betul village in the Quepem taluka, this historic fort overlooks the vast expanse of the Arabian Sea and the picturesque fishing village of Betul. The Betul fort is the only fort in Goa that was built on the orders of the great King Shivaji.

In 1664, Shivaji captured the ‘mahals’ (talukas) of Pednem, Bicholim and Sankhlim (inclusive of modern Sattari) from the Adilshah of Bijapur. Tiswadi, Bardez and Salcette were then, under the Portuguese rule. Ponda, Ashthgrahar, Hemadbarshem, Cacoda, Balli, Chandrawadi, Advat were under the Adilshahi rule. The Soundekar king was the vassal of the Adilshah.
In 1675 Ponda, Balli, Advat came under Shivaji’s rule. The Soundekar king then became the vassal of Shivaji. Shivaji ordered the Hawaldar of Balli to build a fort at the mouth of the Sal River at Betul at the very point where the Sal River meets the Arabian Sea. Following the order of Shivaji, the Hawaldar of Balli began the construction of the fort. The Portuguese always lived in fear of Shivaji and hence when they heard the news of the construction of a fort in the neighbouring territory they were alarmed. They garrisoned the village of Cuncolim in the Salcette taluka. The Sal River also runs through Cuncolim.
Shivaji passed away in April 1680. In 1763, Hyder Ali, the king of Mysore attacked Soundekar’s Kingdom. The Soundekar king Sadashiv surrendered his kingdom which also comprised of Balli, Cacoda, Ashthgrahar, Hemadbarshem, Advat, Zambaulim Chandrawadi and forts of Cabo de Rama or Kholgad and the fort of Betul to the Portuguese for safety.The Portuguese gave asylum to the Soundekar king and his family in Goa and brought these above mentioned areas under their control including the forts of Cabo de Rama and Betul. Thus in 1763-64, the Betul fort came under the control of the Portuguese and remained under their control till 1961.
The Betul fort has a canon on its ramparts. It is a small fort located in one of the most beautiful spots in Goa. Betul is one of the most scenic villages of Goa noted for its beauty and fresh fish. The Betul fort is neither under the ASI or State Archaeology department. It does not enjoy any legal protection. We need to preserve this historic gem for our future generations.



click on links for bigger views here
Cannon gun, which was hidden by thick vegetation


a view from the fort – mobor beach


hilly view from the fort

Close to the fort
some abandoned Mining mechanical loading machinery / belt


Access to the fort via this defunct customs house



April 2007

Cannon facing the Sea

 View from the fort  April 2007

 Fort wall

 River sal origination from here, Betul
A bridge over the river

 Mouth of River Sal


Video - Betul, Mobor beach, River Sal

More on Betul, Mobor beach, River Sal etc

Saturday, 20 October 2012

Tivim Fort, Goa

Tivim Fort - Protected or neglected Site?

Our visit to the fort on 19th Oct. 2012
After St. Christopher Church of Tivim. take a road uphill towards left
It is located on the Tivim - Colvale road soon after 'Mauli Garrage'

It's one of the 17th Century forts of Tivim or Thivim

Here are some pics


Inside of the tunnel

Walls etc

Tivim Fort - Protected or neglected Site?
Walls etc with wild growth
to the right of the Tivim – Colvale Road
As if the road passing through the fort
 Gate /Arch /entrance / door
a well
Road houses etc close to the fort
St. Michael Chapel nearby
Cross in front
with main road to Colvale
Note: The board inscription has been modified to depict the present state of the fort

Video (Fort in ruins)

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Alorna Fort, Goa

 The Alorna Fort is situated in the village of Alorna, in Pernem Taluka, which is about 40 km from Panjim.
 The fort was built by the Bhonsle’s of Sawantwadi in 17th century.
The fort is presently in a dilapidated condition. and need urgent help.
Hope the Govt. get the message through pics and video..
Our visit to the Fort on 16th Oct. 2012
 Some pics


a cross in front


the gate

 Resident caretakers, a family of 5 in a gated complex
they were not too  happy to receive us.. (intruders)
Infact, they were angry..

Head of the family

2 of 5

 3 of 5

4 of 5

The house - They have made this their pefect home, with cow dung pit (Xennachi Gairi) inside.
All 5 were inside, they come out one by one as if we have disturbed them, they wre starring at us all the time, one of them ferociously.

These barracks now turned into cowshed with cow-dung pit inside

roof tiles (renovated)
'the barracks have been restored using the same type of roof tiles brought from Karnataka'

sort of machine / cart for mixing lime & mud for plastering walls etc

with water tanks

 River view from the fort wall, Watch tower

Karande or air potatoes on a creeper

Tallkillo or taddkiddo – a bhaji plant

 A well in the fort
thick vegetation everywhere, this is at the entrance

 outside gate

 inside gate

river Chapora infront

A view from the river bank

front wall

Front wall (external)

a boy jumps over  (gate)

Protected Monumnet

 Protected Monument
the green board to the right reads..
This monument/site has been declared  tobe of State importance under Goa Daman and Diu ancient monuments and Archaeological sites & Remains Act 1978 (1 of 1979). Whosoever destroys, defaces, removes, injure, alters, Imperils or misuses this monument / site shall be liable to punish with imprisonment  whiic may extend to three months or with fine which may be upto Rs.5,000 or with both

 With one watch tower


Monday, 15 October 2012

Colva Fama 15th Oct. 2012

(Estd. 1635)

Colva Fama
15th Oct. 2012 

The Church


Main altar
Our Lady of Mercês


 Long Q

Under Oak Tree

infront of School

A view from the footbridge

The miraculous Minino Jesus

Minin Jezu


Minin Jezu stays here locked in 7 levers / Keys

 an angel from the AMFT or Cemetery


Body and body parts including pvt. Parts, chest and breast
Angovnn, Wax items


Festa Chonne ani Kaddio

‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice’

the priests and the Mass

New motorbike showroom in the feast fair

the footbridge, specially erected

the cross infront of the Church

Bentina - Colva Fama speciality

Blessed Holy Cords

Rs.20 each pack

Contents per pack

roughly 40 per pack

Video  1

Video 2 ( Photo Show )

As appered in Herald in 2009

Video (Colva Fama 2008)

Pics from Oct. 2006